Skip to main content

About Me

 Welcome Friends



Hello classmates and new friends, 

I go by my first and middle name so you can call me Lee Lynn.  I've lived on the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge about 60 miles East of Portland, OR for most of the last 26 years.  My introduction photo is with my dog Roscoe, and I'm in front of the arch at Catherine Creek, one of my favorite places to hang out in the Gorge.  It is especially stunning in late February/early March when the rest of the world is snowy (or muddy) and barren, but these slopes are covered in early spring wildflowers my favorite of which is the blue-eyed grasses aka grass widows. Check out the gorgeguide.com's overview of the hiking area with great pics of the flowers. 

I'm a Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences student through Oregon State University's eCampus, and I love all things wetland related especially aquatic insects, herpetology, and the factors that make each pond in a wetland system unique.  I own a company that removes invasive bullfrogs. Here I am pulling out a bullfrog egg mass in one of my ponds (ummm... I ALWAYS wear a life jacket when I work, except apparently the one day that I'm training my new partner and she takes the only good photo of me working that I have)


In my future I intend to be a wetland professional either as a researcher, managing wetland properties, or as a private consultant.  There is a lot of opportunity in this specialty, as wetlands are an essential component of the world's fresh water, contain many sensitive species, and help mitigate climate change.  One organization I belong to is the Association of State Wetland Managers.  Here's the job board on their site so you can get an idea of the types of related work that are available.  

To wrap up my introduction I'll share a photo of my snowy world that I took yesterday from my home.  It almost looks like Colorado around here (another place I've lived) with all the cold temperatures and powder.  Maybe I'll hike up the little hill today and take a few turns 😁.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Break Down an Argument (If you want to)

 The Toulmin Method for the Argumentatively Impaired.   If you are like me and arguing or persuading someone to do anything is pretty much the last thing you would ever do leading to no experience with argumentation, leading to a lack of skills in doing it, and then around back to really hating to do it.  And if you, like me, prefer a live and let live mentality to let people that believe differently than you do just say whatever they want without feeling the need to critique them, you may benefit from learning the Toulmin Method.   In Steven Toulmin's 1958 book The Uses of Argument , Toulmin put forth his thoughts and methods about argumentation and the critique of arguments.  A summation of the method includes analyzing the claim, then analyzing the reasons and evidence, checking for and examining the warrants and noting any rebuttals (Green 2022 325).  In more detail this translates into figure out exactly what it is that the author is arguing for which is called a claim, and th